• ‘Chang'e-4’, a Chinese spacecraft, has made the first-ever landing on the far side of the moon.
• Earlier in 2013, China landed its rover on the moon, joining the United States and the Soviet Union as the only nations to have carried out a “soft landing” there, but the Chang’e-4 is the first to touch down on the far side of the moon that perpetually faces away from the Earth.
• The far side of the moon is relatively unexplored. It is also known as the dark side of the moon.
• The lunar explorer Chang'e signals its growing ambition to become a space power.
• Chang'e-4 will undertake astronomical observation, surveying the moon's terrain, landform and mineral composition, and measuring the neutron radiation and neutral atoms to study the environment on the far side of the Moon.
© 2018 Eduthrust. All Rights Reserved