• The National Mathematics Day is observed every year on 22 December in India. It was initiated by former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in 2012.
• It is observed to honour the birth anniversary of the famous mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan who contributed towards mathematical analysis, number theory, infinite series and continued fractions.
• Ramanujan lived during the British Rule in India. He died at a young age of 32 in London.
• He had almost no formal training in pure mathematics.
• In 1911, Ramanujan published the first of his papers in the Journal of the Indian Mathematical Society.
© 2018 Eduthrust. All Rights Reserved