• Croatian Captain and midfielder Luka Modric, who had led Croatia to its maiden Cup final before they lost to France in the summit clash, has won the 2018 Ballon d'Or.
• With the win, the 33-year old has become the first player other than Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo or Argentina’s Lionel Messi to claim the award in more than a decade. Before Modric, both Messi and Ronaldo had won five Ballon d'Ors each.
• This year, Ronaldo was placed second behind Modric, while Messi finished fifth. France’s Antoine Griezmann was third, while the teenage sensation Kylian Mbappe was placed fourth.
• Mbappe, however, won the best young player of the year award at the Ballon d'Or ceremony.
• This year, for the first time women’s Ballon d'Or was also named and it went to Norwegian striker Ada Hegerberg.
© 2018 Eduthrust. All Rights Reserved